This is an awesome appetizer recipe from the Joe Beef cookbook which is an impressive way to kick off a meal with not a ton of prep.
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp fermented black beans
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 dried chile, crumbled into wee pieces
- At least as many oysters as you have guests (this makes a decent amount of sauce)
Combine first three ingredients in a pot, and bring to a boil. Add everything else but the oysters, and take off the heat. Allow to cool and let the flavors mingle as long as 24 hours.
Add the sauce to shucked oysters and steam them for about 5 minutes (potentially a little less if the oysters are small). Top them off with sauce if it runs off during cooking.
Top with chopped green onion, pickled carrots, sriracha, whatever your heart desires.